Farewell, Class of 2020

Goodbye+Class+of+2020%2C+thanks+for+the+memories.+

Goodbye Class of 2020, thanks for the memories.

As they often say, all good things must come to an end. This is the exact sentiment our school is  feeling as we bid farewell to the Class of 2020. The students comprising the Class of 2020 have been some of the most memorable, creative, and intelligent pupils to be part of the Somerset Canyons community. Some of these students have attended Somerset since their middle school years. The memories that have formed and the good times that have rolled throughout the years will never be forgotten, even as this class moves on to the next level of their academic careers. 

It is safe to say that students and faculty alike never expected the year to end in this manner. Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, most of the events that the seniors have been looking forward to have been delayed or cancelled. Events such as Prom and Graduation have come to a halt, while the thrill of grad bash has drowned away. Although times are truly difficult, we still have the ability to see our seniors out, just in a different way. A graduation ceremony is still planned for June 25th and a virtual commencement is scheduled to take place on May 20,2020. With our objective being to examine how the senior class is feeling about their high school years coming to an end, we asked a few seniors a couple of questions. 

Alex Collins

Q: How long have you been attending Somerset Academy Canyons? 

A: For 4 years

Q:Which event were you the most disappointed to hear was cancelled, and why? 

A:Prom because I was looking forward to it for my whole life.

Q:How has your emotions changed during this whole experience? Do you feel that you have been able to find the silver lining of the situation? 

A:I think that being able to do stuff at home during this is better than school in a way because people don’t have to rush to school and it’s not as long. 

Q:What will you miss most about being a student at SAC? 

A:I miss being able to see my friends

Q:If you could give advice to a rising senior about making the most of your senior year,what would it be ? 

A:Live in the moment and try to make the best out of any situation that you occur and be friendly with others because you can make lifelong relationships. 

Christian Torres

A:I have been attending Somerset for three years. 

A:Graduation because it was the culmination of all my hard work throughout high school and it was something I was looking forward to it for a very long time. 

A:To be honest, I have not seen the silver lining in all of this, I have tried really hard, but I just hope this ends soon so we can enjoy our last summer vacation. 

A:The thing I will miss the most is going to class with my friends and enjoying the valuable time I had with them. 

A:Do not take time for granted,it goes faster than you think , in the blink of an eye you will be on the verge of becoming an adult.Enjoy the company of your friends. Take it one day at a time. 

Ella Chapman 

A: I’ve been attending Somerset since 7th grade. 

A:I am disappointed that Graduation was pushed back because I am leaving for bootcamp June 17 and my parents wanted to see me graduate High School. 

Q:How has your emotions changed during this whole experience? Do you feel that you    have been able to find the silver lining of the situation? 

A:At first I was kinda mad about the situation. Then I realized I benefited from this happening, I have had more time to workout for the Navy and hang out with my family. I love being home eating my food, sleeping when I want to, and using the bathroom when I need to. 

A:I will miss seeing my teachers. A lot of the teachers have been really helpful to me not just school but life. 

A:The advice I would give would be to enjoy it. I think that senior year is supposed to be fun, sadly mine wasn’t. Make sure to put away the drama and enjoy hanging out with the whole senior class. 

Sean Zhyvahlod

A: 7th grade, 2014

A: Graduation, because it’s like we all worked 12 years for this and now we’re all getting robbed blind. 

A: I know a lot of us had really bad anxiety in the beginning, especially all the athletes and AICE diploma recipients because we all knew there wouldn’t be a senior night. But at least we get to skip finals.  

A: Honestly as much as we all say we hated it ,every day 7:40 pulling up to that senior parking lot late and running to class with everyone before the bell really made it feel like we are one big family. 

A: Y’all juniors got to see us get robbed in the 4th quarter so I honestly hope that even if there is a second wave in the fall that won’t ruin your senior year like it did ours. Just be prepared for anything and try and make the most of it no matter what extenuating circumstances life throws at y’all.

Evidently, this class has felt mixed emotions during this time. What speaks the most volume, however, is that many of them were able to find the light at the end of the tunnel. It pains our hearts to say bye to our seniors. Through their time as Cougars, they have shaped Somerset Canyons into the form it takes on today.We wish them the absolute best and have complete confidence that they will thrive in whatever they set their hearts on.