First annual Winter Festival at Somerset Academy Canyons is a success

Rosalind Crockett, Staff Writer

On December 2nd, Somerset Academy Canyons had its first annual Winter Festival on the football field. The festival was filled with fun games and activities as well as booths for clubs, each club ran their own booth and sold their own products to raise money for the school. These clubs include Model UN, Dance Marathon, O.R.C.A, etc.

The line to get onto the field was almost all the way down to the basketball court. Families and parents were lined up to get a wristband and pay for tickets to purchase food and mementos. The baseball team kept the line from getting hungry by selling walking tacos along the gate. On the field, the booths were lined up all around the sidelines and on each end of the field starting at about the 30 yard line. Students and families visited the various booths while holiday music played. The event lasted from 6pm-10pm.

With this being the schools first time hosting a winter fest, it holds a great importance to both the school and the participants. “ You get to see a variety of different clubs and get more information about the club and its whereabouts.” said Vice President of Dance Marathon, Shayna Cadel. This could allow clubs that are not well known to get more recognition and potentially get more people to join.

There were many festivities as well as delicious food. These included a fun bounce house, petting zoo (with geese, chickens, bunnies, goats, and a cow), hotdogs , burgers, Chik-Fil-A, churros, empanadas, snacks and even Kona Ice was on campus. There was also a fake snow truck that blew bubbles. Some SAC students were managing booths for their respective clubs. “ It was awesome handing out snow cones all night. It was nice to see HOSA being supported by other students” HOSA member Mariamne Sanchez said. The art booth featured face painting for its visitors while some other clubs were selling various food and accessories.

All in all, it was a great experience for anyone who attended. If you weren’t able to attend, you missed out, but this was only the beginning. “ I can’t wait until next year. I know my kids are going to be looking forward to it.” said Mr. Holmes, SAC teacher.