The Incoming 9th Grader’s Guide to Choosing Next Year’s Classes

If you still have no idea which classes you should take, that’s okay: we have you covered.

Sally Brown and Hailey Lazar

Incoming 9th graders, it’s that time of the year: class selection! There are a variety of classes to choose from, ranging from the arts to academics. Some of the classes are even college-level courses, which may count for college credits (if you receive a passing grade on the exam at the end of the year). If you are still unsure of which classes to take, here is a guide to help you figure out which classes may be right for you.

Language arts

To start off, language arts can represent the world through a book, but what class will have the right novels for you?

If your current class level is…

Regular: English 1 is the perfect place for you. If you feel Regular is a bit too easy, test your limits and try Pre-AICE. Yes, you could also choose to take AICE General Paper, but it may be a true challenge for you.

Cambridge: Pre-AICE is the right place for you. If you are currently failing or finding your current class difficult, then it may be a good idea to select English 1. If you’re looking for a challenge, try AICE General Paper.

Social Studies

Historical figures, documents, and timelines, oh my!

If your current class level is…

Regular: World geography is just right for you. If you’re passing easily and want a little challenge, test your abilities by taking Pre-AICE Geography.

Advanced/Gifted: AICE European is highly suggested for current Gifted and Advanced students. If you’re not preforming as well as you wish or want an easier course, consider Pre- AICE. But remember, AICE European will count as a college credit (if you pass the AICE exam), and you will be one class closer to the AICE Diploma.

Mathematics

Next is mathematics. If you love the feeling of numbers solving equations in every way, while still getting the same answer, try these math classes.

If your current class level is…

Regular: Algebra I is just the right place for you. For those of you who want to test your limits, try Pre-AICE Algebra I.

Cambridge: Pre- AICE Algebra I is the right place for you. If you are currently failing or finding your current class difficult, then Algebra 1 may be the best place for you.

Algebra: Pre-AICE Geometry is the right place for you. If you are currently failing, you may have to repeat this class.

Geometry: Pre-AICE Algebra II is the right place for you. If you are currently failing, you may have to repeat this class.

Science

The periodic tables may only periodically show up in these classes!

If your current class level is…

Regular: High School can blow up in your face much like the experiments you’ll do in physical science, which is the perfect place for you. If you want a challenge, try Pre-AICE, which is also a required course for the medical program.

Cambridge: Your next steps will be to take physical science, but your highly recommended class is Pre-AICE 1 Physical Science (again, this course is required for the medical program).

Pre- AICE Physical: You’re heading on up to Pre- AICE Biology, unless you failed.

Pre-AICE Biology: Next stop, Pre-AICE Chemistry.

World Language

Hola! Bonjour! Ciao!

French: If you want to study French, then you will begin with French 1. Students who have completed their first year will go to French 2, and those in French 2 will go to French 3.

Spanish: First-time students will begin with Spanish 1. Students in Spanish 1 this year will go to Spanish 2 next year, and Spanish students in 2 will go to 3. If you decide to take Spanish and complete all the courses, you will be able to take AICE Spanish (which will allow you to earn college credit if you pass the exam at the end of the year).

Italian: If you want to begin learning Italian, you will start with Italian 1. Those who have already taken Italian 1 will go to Italian 2.

In order to graduate from high school, students will need to take two language courses sometime during high school. It will have to be the same language for two years in a row.

Electives

Now for the fun part!

*PHYSICAL EDUCATION IS MANDATORY FOR 9th GRADE*

Business Academy

The Somerset Business Academy offers three classes: Digital Information Technology (Microsoft Office Certification), Finance (Pre-requisite: Digital Information Technology), and AICE Travel and Tourism. This class is a great way for young entrepreneurs to start their training. In addition, passing AICE Travel and Tourism counts as one of your credits for the AICE Diploma.

Medical Academy

You can start your future in the medical sciences now! This consist of Health Science 1: Anatomy and Physiology Honors (9th grade), Health science 2 (10th grade), Allied Health Assisting (11th Grade).

AICE Electives

Only two AICE electives are open to incoming 9th graders: AICE Thinking Skills and AICE European History. In AICE Thinking Skills you will be using math to solve real world scenarios. Passing either will count towards college credits and the AICE Diploma.

Art

This school’s art department offers Art 2D, Art 3D, Studio Art (Pre-requisite Art 2D or Art 3D), AP Studio Art 2D (requires teacher approval). Get ready to paint your way to success with this class.

Additional electives our school offers include:

• Band
  • Chorus
  • Journalism (Newspaper)
  • Leadership Skills Development
  • Television Production
  • Theatre
  • Yearbook
  • Creative Writing
  • Law Studies 1- Criminal