Tardiness Meets Study Hall

Kiara Felix

This year Somerset Academy Canyons administration has implemented a new policy to combat the issue of tardiness when it comes to students in the morning. The policy requires that teachers close their doors and not allow students to enter the classroom once the bell rings, at 7:50 am for high school students and 8:00 am for middle school students. The children in the hallway after the bell rings are required to go to the high school cafeteria, check-in, turn in their technology, and sit in the study hall until the first period is over. Then they can go on with their day as usual. 

Tardiness in the Morning 

A lot can happen from the time a student gets up and starts preparing for school to the time they arrive in their first period classroom. Some students end up in study hall because they woke up late, some end up there because they were loitering in the hallways, while some simply end up there because of traffic. 

“Going to school is a two way road, some people go through the church, while others go directly to the school. People are always switching lines, which also causes traffic.” says junior Christina Nguyen who drives to school.   

When there is traffic due to an accident, administration allows students to enter their first period classes a few minutes late, and avoid study hall. Traffic due to other reasons that lead to tardiness, however, are hardly taken into account.  A student can also be tardy because of their parents. Some students drive themselves to school, while others have to rely on their parents to get them to school on time, and at times they may have trouble carrying out that responsibility. 

“ I could wake up at the same time everyday, and sometimes get to school on time and sometimes not, for reasons out of my control.” says 11th grader Marc Bud.  

Study Hall Replaces Math, Reading and Science 

When students are put into study hall, they miss an entire class, it could be art or AP U.S History. Missing a whole class period in AICE or AP classes can negatively impact a student, they can miss a days’ worth of notes and lectures, which they’ll have to try to catch up on. 

“Some 1st periods are AP classes, if students are late, for example, due to their parents, they will miss material for the class that they’ll need for their AP exam,” says junior Alexei Lyon. 

It may be easy for some students to catch up, but it could be very hard for others. 

“I’ve missed two chapters due to this and reading the power points have not helped me. I’ve also missed notes.” says Bud. 

Study hall allows for less interruptions in the classroom, as students or teachers do not need to keep stopping and getting up to get the door whenever a student arrives late. There are teachers who’d prefer that over their students missing important material. The students  in study hall are encouraged to work on classwork or homework if they have any. However, there are a lot of students that have assignments that require technology, which are not allowed in study halls. 

“You sit down and do nothing, you can’t eat, can’t sleep, your feet can’t be out from the bench. If you’re lucky you can do homework or read a book.”  says Bud.  

Much of the administration at Somerset believes that study hall is effective in limiting tardiness. The issue has shown to be controversial. 

“It does not work”, says Nguyen.