Cougar Culture is More than Just a Pretty Face

WSAC TV

Somersets+glow+up+comes+from+a+prioritization+of+student+and+staff+safety+

Somerset’s glow up comes from a prioritization of student and staff safety

Kiera Felix, Staff Writer

Recently, the cafeterias and some classroom glass windows have received a glow up with a touch of cougar pride. Though these designs possess a greater importance to student safety.  

These new safety windows serve to better protect students and staff. The windows are one way and were installed both at the gym and administrative offices. The windows were installed by Cady. The new safety upgrades not only abide by The Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Act, but are a splash of school spirit and cougar culture, having the school colors, and the school’s mascot.

The Marjory Stoneman Douglas Public Safety Act was signed by former Florida senator Rick Scott on March 9th, 2018, in light of  the mass shooting that happened at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, in Parkland, Florida. The mass shooting left 17 people dead, 15 hospitalized, and many devastated.

The act was put into effect to increase school safety. The requirement for safety windows is not all that is required due to the act. Each public school must have a safe-school officer on campus. Public schools also have to undergo safety assessments. The FortifyFL mobile act, a mobile app funded by the Marjory Stoneman Douglas Act, allows both students and members of the public to report any suspicious activity they may have come across.

Somerset, like many other schools across the country, are taking initiatives to make schools not just a place of learning, but also a safe space. The Marjory Stoneman Douglas Act and it’s set of guidelines are helping schools keep students safe from outside threats. 

Somerset Canyons has been abiding the guidelines, and is continuing to create a safe and effective learning environment for its staff and it’s students.

“I’m hoping that following the guidelines of the act will increase school safety while maintaining the cohesiveness of our school community,” says Ms. Frieman, the Law teacher at Somerset.

The windows are a great new addition to the school overall, they are heightening the school’s safety, while boosting cougar pride.