SAC Celebrates Our Planet with “Earth Week”

Christina Salsberry

Christina Salsberry, Editor-In-Chief

From April 16th through April 22nd, our school’s Science National Honor Society (SNHS) chapter turned Earth Day into a four-day-long school celebration of saving and conserving our planet.

On Tuesday (atmospheric awareness day), students were able to wear white shirts. Additionally, SNHS members sold RTIC water bottles and cloud-shaped Rice Krispies Treats.

On Wednesday (land-based awareness day), students donned green shirts, while SNHS members sold edible dirt cups, as well as succulents in sea glass mason jars.

On Thursday (marine-based awareness day), students wore blue shirts. SNHS members sold remaining succulents and RTIC bottles.

SNHS’s Earth Day Carnival was held on Thursday, as well. The Earth Day Carnival is held every year and aims to teach students about the environment and how to protect it, while also having fun doing so. This year, the event had recycling races, a fishing game in a plastic-filled pond, face painting, t-shirt tie-dying, and more.

Christina Salsberry
Senior Michael McNeill paints Kermit the Frog onto a carnival-goer’s face.
Fun fact: Kermit the Frog was one of the most requested designs at the event.

One of the most popular attractions, however, was the dunk tank. Many students took turns trying to dunk teachers and administrators alike, raising about $800.

Teachers and administrators could be heard teasing the students, saying things such as “Throwing isn’t your thing. Stick to the books instead!” and “So sad!”.

All proceeds from the Earth Day Week will go to 4Ocean, a company whose goal is to remove trash and plastic waste from the world’s oceans and coastlines.

On Earth Day (Monday), students who purchased the Earth Day shirt were allowed to listen to a speaker from 4Ocean, who informed students about the importance of ocean conservation, what will happen if we do not keep our planet clean, and what students could do to help.

Christina Salsberry
Sea turtle art created by our students on display at the Earth Day Carnival.

Protecting and conserving our resources is important. Here are some quick facts about what happens when we do not take care of our planet:

• “The 19th annual national air quality ‘report card’ found that 133.9 million Americans—more than four in 10 (41.4 percent)—lived in counties with unhealthful levels of either ozone or particle pollution in 2014-2016, placing them at risk for premature death and other serious health effects such as lung cancer, asthma attacks, cardiovascular damage, and developmental and reproductive harm,” according to the American Lung Association.
  • According to the U.S. Government and Accountability Office, “40 of 50 state water managers expected [freshwater] shortages in some portion of their states under average conditions in the next 10 years.” Florida, in particular, is expected to have regional freshwater shortages.
  • “Some of the potential consequences [for humans due to land pollution] include birth defects, the development of breathing disorders, skin diseases, and cancer. Most of these develop after exposure to waste from water poisoning and soil contamination,” according to Conservation Institute.
  • According to The Independent, “More than 700 mammals and birds currently threatened with extinction already appear to have been adversely affected by climate change, according to a major review of scientific studies.”

There are many simple, easy ways to help our planet. Every effort counts. Here are some ways that you can make a difference today:

• Recycle when possible.
  • Switch from using plastic one-use water bottles to using reusable bottles.
  • When outdoors, leave no trash in the environment.
  • Participate in beach clean-ups.
  • Avoid using cars (or try carpooling!) when possible. If you can, try walking or biking to your destination instead.
  • Avoid wasting water by turning off faucets when not not needed.
  • Turn off lights you do not need and unplug devices not in use.
About the Contributor
Christina Salsberry, Editor-In-Chief

Christina is a senior at Somerset Academy Canyons and has been attending Somerset since its inaugural year. She's really excited to work with her fellow...