Two Seniors with the Secret to Success

Somerset is home to many students who have been working hard their entire high school years. From taking multiple AICE and AP courses each year and participating and being on the board of clubs and honor societies, these scholars have created a lasting impact on the school. Two of the most well-known students for their academic success are Steven Jackson and Taylor Rivet. They both started their paths at Somerset since the first day it opened and are here to explain how they feel as it comes to an end, while giving some tips to those who want to follow in their footsteps.

Question 1: What did it take to get where you are, and what were your biggest motivations along the way?

Steven: “It took a lot of hard work, a lot of taking stuff upon myself. I realized very early on that there would be things I had to figure out on my own. Initiation, drive, and determination.

Taylor: “Getting to where I am now took a lot of hard work in my academics and a lot of involvement in activities like clubs and sports. A lot of the motivation I had to work hard in these areas came from my mom. She has always taught me to work hard so that all my efforts would pay off.”

Question 2: How did you balance your academics with other clubs, activities, and social life?

Steven: “I took it on a day [to] day basis. I decided what I could handle each day. With clubs and stuff, I always tried to push my limits, but recognize them as well. Through experimentation, I found balance. It may take a while to find that balance, but keep working at it, find out what`s right for you.”

Taylor: “Balancing my academics with clubs, sports, and friends required a lot of time management. I always ensured I had enough time dedicated to these various parts of my life.”

Question 3: What about Somerset made you feel like you could succeed?

Steven: “I think it was the closeness and dedication of the community. We have a lot of smart students and teachers who foster a diversity of thought that challenges me and pushes me to do my best.”

Taylor: “The incredible teachers here at Somerset made me feel confident in my abilities to succeed. I knew that my teachers were always available to help me with my academics and guide me.”

Question 4: What college did you decide on and what is your plan for the future?

Steven: “I decided on Carnegie Mellon. My plan for the future is really to see where my college education will take me. I don’t really know where I will end up in 5-10 years. I hope to go to graduate school but you never know, and I mean I hope to do engineering but I don’t know where I will end up. I want to have a good life and a good job but I don’t know what that will look like for me.”

Taylor: “I have decided to attend the University of Florida as either a biology or theater major.”

Question 5: What tips or suggestions do you have for someone who wants to get the most out of their academic career?

Steven: “Focus more on what you learned, rather than your grade. At the end of the day, the grade won’t matter as much as what you learned, so don’t sacrifice learning for numbers. The primary purpose of school is for you to learn, so if you didn’t learn anything then it was for nothing.”

Taylor: “Advice that I have for someone who wants to get the most out of their academic career would be to surround yourself with people who will support you, and to always dedicate yourself 100% to whatever it is you are hoping to achieve.”