Is Sleep Really for the Weak?

Grace Rinier, Author

As a result of a long day of school, a 16-year-old girl wants to go home and sleep; However, that is not an achievable option due to how the rest of her day is seemingly planned out. After hours of homework, along with chores, she subsequently finds herself wrapped up binge-watching the newest season of her favorite show on Netflix, leaving her up until two in the morning while having to wake up in four more hours to make it on time to school.

The lack of sleep among teenagers in this generation has been linked to various negative effects throughout their lives, whether that be relating to health or academic performance.

Instead of achieving the appropriate amount of rest needed – approximating around 8 to 10 hours – many teenagers do not despite doctor recommendation, making sleep deprivation relatively common in this day of age.

“In modern society the sleep that [the] youth are getting daily is unhealthy,” stated Somerset student Lauren Ronson.

Causes

One of the most hazardous routines that have potential to hinder a teenager’s daily performance is the use of technology before sleep. Whether it be keeping them up late throughout the night or simply used to reply to a last-minute text, electronic devices have the capability to alter the way we rest. Likewise, a student’s busy schedule filled with both academic and extracurricular activities – still leaving them with hours of homework in some cases. When trying to accomplish tasks for the next day of school at such a late hour into the night, a student might be hurting themselves rather than doing good on their own part. In result of these aspects, various negative components relating to the next morning have a higher expectancy to occur.

Health

Due to an insufficient amount of sleep, some teenagers find themselves at risk for various negative ramifications – some of these greatly affecting their health. Research shows that a lack of sleep can cause symptoms such as an inability to comprehend information, higher chances of making rash decisions, drowsiness, along with sheer laziness or rather a lack of quality for life the next morning. After a certain number of hours of being awake –  approximating around 17 to 19 – the body begins performing in a way like an intoxicated individual. A lack of sleep can also lead to other physical ailments. According to verywell.com, “Research studies have demonstrated that sleep deprivation may cause subtle changes in your vital signs.” These include blood pressure, blood temperature, accompanied by both heart and breathing rate – which all have the potential to cause damage when sleep deprived.

Academics

When it comes to how students have performed academically while undergoing the repercussions of lack of rest, the outcomes wouldn’t surprise anyone. During a conducted study by various researchers from universities in Belgium, data was collected and averaged from approximately 621 students after taking exams. “…the grades of students who slept seven hours each night during the exam period were nearly 10 percent higher than those of students who got less sleep,” (huffingtonpost.com). An inadequate amount of sleep is more likely to make students perform lesser on exams as stated before and simply overall academically.

“The amount of sleep a child gets is vital for them to even function properly,” stated a Somerset parent, “I think it’s really detrimental on their part to neglect that.”