Cougars Face Off Against Spanish River in School Duel

The Somerset Canyons School Duel team. From left to right: Max Granat, Enya Clancy, Braden Strackman, Emma Carter, Ashiqur Rahman.

Christina Salsberry, Editor

Five of our juniors fought against Spanish River High School this past Monday, January 22nd, in the local School Duel. Ms. Schooley sponsored the team, composed of Ash Rahman, Braden Strackman, Emma Carter, Enya Clancy, and Max Granat.

What is School Duel? According to the School Duel website, “[it] is the exciting academic quiz show where high school teams compete to win. School Duel is South Florida’s only locally-produced, academic-based quiz show and is hosted by former HEATV star Lisa Lee. The 19-show School Duel series features twenty high school teams from Broward, Miami-Dade and Palm Beach Counties. The four-person teams compete in a single elimination tournament to determine the South Florida academic champion. 59 high schools in the area competed in an online test to be part of the show and the top 20 schools made it to the “televised” rounds.”

When asked how her experience was, Enya Clancy replied, “It was a once-in-a-lifetime experience! It was very interesting and eye-opening that I could achieve more than I actually thought. It’s something I would definitely do it again, and hopefully will participate again next year.”

The duel will be televised on April 12th at 7 pm on channel 19 (becon-tv), so mark your calendars to watch the Cougars face off against the Sharks!

Behind the scenes of the School Duel match!